SEATTLE — Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell, King County Executive Dow Constantine and 36 mayors from across King County hosted the “Mayors’ Concert for Ukraine and Refugees Worldwide” on April 4 to raise money to help Ukrainian refugees in Europe as well as Ukrainian and other refugees in King County. Those still wishing to donate can do so online through April 30.
The benefit featured the Seattle Symphony conducted by Ludovic Morlot and regional Ukrainian performers. KING 5’s Joyce Taylor served as emcee.
“Joining together as One Seattle, we are honoring the Ukrainian people during this extraordinarily difficult time and taking action to help,” said Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell when the concert was announced. “In addition to our previously announced Executive Order, Seattle will continue to stand alongside our Ukrainian neighbors, immigrant community, and the people of Ukraine. Further, we also stand with all refugees who are in need of relief and a path to a better life – supporting them will continue to be a priority.”
Funds raised by the concert will benefit the Seattle Refugee Fund, hosted by the Seattle Foundation. Participating musicians volunteered their time. After administrative and out-of-pocket expenses, all donations to the Seattle Refugee Fund will be distributed as follows: 70% will help Ukrainians in Europe and Seattle-King County through the International Rescue Committee and the Ukrainian Community Center of Washington; 30% will provide services to other refugees in Seattle-King County.
Donations can be made through April 30 at seattlesymphony.org/ukraine.
"The Seattle Symphony stands with the brave people of Ukraine in their fight for self-determination, and it is an honor to host this concert at Benaroya Hall with the region's mayors, alongside our wonderful musicians who have volunteered their time," said Seattle Symphony President and CEO Krishna Thiagarajan. "We are dedicated to sharing music in the hopes that the donations will support Ukrainian families suffering from the horrible effects of this war and their displacement. Thank you to all of the generous partners and organizations who are helping to make this concert successful. We are proud to be part of our community's strong support for the Ukrainian people and refugees worldwide."
"We are very grateful for the strong support the people of Seattle and beyond have shown us,” said Valeriy Goloborodko, Honorary Consul General of Ukraine in Seattle. “The Symphony's musicians volunteering for this concert is yet another example of how people are contributing so much to help the people of Ukraine.”
In addition to Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell and King County Executive Dow Constantine, area mayors that co-hosted the event include:
- Mayor Sofia Aragon, Burien
- Mayor Nancy Backus, Auburn
- Mayor Carol Benson, Black Diamond
- Mayor Angela Birney, Redmond
- Mayor Allan Ekberg, Tukwila
- Mayor Jim Farrell, Federal Way
- Mayor Leanne Guier, Pacific
- Mayor Nigel Herbig, Kenmore
- Mayor Dave Hill, Algona
- Mayor Sue-Ann Hohimer, Normandy Park
- Mayor Jeff Johnson, Lake Forest Park
- Mayor Sean Kelly, Maple Valley
- Mayor Katy Kinney Harris, Yarrow Point
- Mayor Marianne Klass, Clyde Hill
- Mayor Kim Lisk, Carnation
- Mayor Matt Mahoney, Des Moines
- Mayor Christie Malchow, Sammamish
- Mayor Rob McFarland, North Bend
- Mayor Mike Millman, Woodinville
- Mayor Linda Newing, Newcastle
- Mayor Salim Nice, Mercer Island
- Mayor Jan Molinaro, Enumclaw
- Mayor Amy Ockerlander, Duvall
- Mayor Mary Lou Pauly, Issaquah
- Mayor Armondo Pavone, Renton
- Mayor Dana Ralph, Kent
- Mayor Lynne Robinson, Bellevue
- Mayor Katherine Ross, Snoqualmie
- Mayor Jessica Rossman, Medina
- Mayor Keith Scully, Shoreline
- Mayor Shanna Styron Sherrell, Milton
- Mayor Jake Simpson, SeaTac
- Mayor Henry Sladek, Skykomish
- Mayor Penny Sweet, Kirkland
- Mayor Mason Thompson, Bothell
- Mayor Jeff Wagner, Covington
Sponsors of the Seattle Refugee Fund: Alaska Air, Boeing, City of Seattle, Fearey, King Broadcasting, King County, Microsoft, The Seattle Foundation, Seattle Metro Chamber, Seattle Times, Comcast, Urban Visions & Wright Runstad.