SEATTLE — Several school districts around western Washington have announced delays or cancellations for Monday morning due to winter weather impacts.
All Puyallup School District schools will be closed Dec. 5, while South Kitsap Schools will start 2 hours late due to icy conditions.
“We realize it's an inconvenience when we close school or school is delayed. But it's best to err on the side of caution as we do have student drivers to consider,” said Sarah Gillispie, Director of Communications for the Puyallup School District.
Tacoma School District also will start two hours late, and there will be no out-of-district transportation.
Tacoma Metro Parks also announced Sunday evening that the hours for some of its facilities would be affected by the local weather.
- All community centers will open at 9 a.m. (Eastside, People’s, STAR, Center at Norpoint)
- Tacoma Nature Center will open at 9 a.m. for programs; at 10 a.m. to the public.
- Meadow Park Golf Couse will announce operational hours tomorrow morning.
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum and Northwest Trek Wildlife Park will be closed as per normal seasonal schedules.
- Point Defiance Marina, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, W.W. Seymour Conservatory and all other parks, rentals and events including Zoolights, will be open normal hours.
- Beyond the Bell and youth sports programs will follow opening protocol for Tacoma Public Schools, announced at tacomaschools.org/.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
WSDOT said there is snow and ice on the roadways and advised travelers of added travel time and delays.
Before you head over the mountains, make sure to check pass conditions as closures are possible and chains may be required at times.
The Washington State Department of Transportation may close one direction or both directions of a pass if severe weather or collisions warrant a closure.
I-90 eastbound was closed for several hours Sunday afternoon after a 15-car collision near Easton.
Here's how to check if the passes are open or closed in each direction before you hit the road: