The I-90 floating bridge in Seattle will temporarily close Sunday while the U.S. Navy Blue Angels perform in the 2018 Seafair Air Show.
The bridge has been closed intermittently throughout the week during the Blue Angels' performance and practice. The Washington Department of Transportation (WSDOT) said the closures for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians are required by the Federal Aviation Administration and are meant to keep the public and pilots safe.
I-90 will close between I-5 in Seattle and Island Crest Way on Mercer Island on:
Sunday, Aug. 5: 12:55 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)
Pedestrians and cyclists can still access the bridge high rises during the closures, but WSDOT says no one can travel beyond the high rises 30 minutes before the closures.
WSDOT said several ramps on I-90 and I-5 will also close 30 to 90 minutes before the scheduled practice and show times.
Mercer Island ramps closers from WSDOT:
- West Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 90 minutes beforehand)
- East Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 60 minutes beforehand)
- Eastbound I-90 to West Mercer Way (up to 30 minutes beforehand)
- 76th Avenue to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes beforehand)
- Island Crest Way to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes beforehand)
Seattle ramps to close 30 minutes prior:
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound I-90
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound I-90
- Northbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90
- Southbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90
The SR 520 floating bridge will remain open to traffic and tolls will be collected, WSDOT said.
Drivers who live on Mercer Island should follow detour routes. Most roads will be open for local traffic only.
On Sunday, you can enjoy the excitement of the 2018 Seafair Weekend Festival live on KONG-TV and KING5.com