SEATTLE — Holland America Line is kicking off the start of the 2023 Alaska cruise season with a travel show in Seattle. The event will be held on March 18 at the Bell Harbor International Conference Center at Pier 66.
The free, all-day expo will feature booking incentives for cruisers, plus many activities tied to Alaskan culture. Register ahead of the event and you can enter to win a free cruise!
As the fleet executive chef with the Holland America Line, Sinu Pillai is used to feeling the swell of the ocean under his feet while he's cooking up gourmet food.
He joined the show to share a recipe with us before he sets sail!
Fresh Alaskan Black Cod with Tomato Concasse and White Wine Reduction
Recipe from HOLLAND AMERICA LINE 150th Year Celebration Menu
- 24 oz Black Cod, 6 oz portions
- .1 oz Salt & Pepper
- .3 oz Lemon juice
- 5.2 oz Butter, Clarified (brown butter)
- 20 oz Tenderstem Broccoli, half cook in salted boiling water
- 1 piece Lemon
- 2 oz Leeks, for garnish
- 1 oz Pea Shoots, for garnish
- 7 oz Tomato chopped, remove skin and seeds
- 1.5 oz Onions, finely chopped
- .2 oz Garlic, finely chopped
- .1 oz Parsley, finely chopped
- .5 oz Tomato Paste
- .1 oz Salt & pepper
- .1 oz Brown Sugar
- .5 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- .3 oz Basil, finely Shredded
WHITE WINE REDUCTION
- .8 oz Shallots, finely chopped
- 16 oz White Wine
- .1 oz White Wine Vinegar
- .1 oz Lemon Juice
- .7 oz Tarragon Fresh
- 9 oz Heavy Cream
- 1.8 oz Butter
- .1 oz Salt & Pepper
- .1 oz Dill leaves, finely chopped
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 16 oz Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 5 oz Hummus
- .5 oz Roasted Red Bell Pepper, fine strips for garnish
WHITE WINE REDUCTION:
- Make a reduction of 0.4 oz shallots, white wine, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and tarragon.
- Sauce: In a medium pan heat butter, add the chopped shallots.
- Once the shallot is translucent, add the cream and reduce it by half on medium heat.
- Add the wine reduction and seasoning to the reduced cream to finish the sauce.
- Once the sauce is cooled down add finely chopped dill leaves.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil, add chopped garlic, and chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped tomato.
- Once the tomato is slightly cooked and the concasse becomes thick after the juice is reduced, take it off the heat.
- Remove from heat, immediately add the sugar and seasoning.
- After the concasse is slightly cooled down, finish with chopped parsley and finely shredded basil.
ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS:
- Mix the roasted red pepper fine puree with hummus.
- Make it slightly warm before serving.
- Marinate the black cod with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Pan fry the fish now in a hot nonstick pan, seal the skin first and make it crispy.
- Turn the fish carefully and finish cooking on a medium heat.
- Sauté the tenderstem broccoli in brown clarified butter.
Segment Producer Rebecca Perry. Watch New Day Northwest 11 a.m. weekdays on KING 5 and streaming live on KING5.com. Contact New Day.