Two young women went to great lengths to rescue a scared and starving dog - now they're looking for his owners.

When Amanda Guarascio heard about a lost dog at Evans Creek, she and her friend Dylan Parkinson decided to help.

The two posted a series of photos illustrating what the two did to rescue the frightened and emaciated dog and told the story on the Lost & Found Pets Wa State Facebook page.

They said off-roaders had been tossing the starving dog food for months but nobody could get close to him. They drove up to the site.

"We spent an hour trying to coax him to us with food but it didn't get us very far," said Guarascio.

They decided to go back into town to buy some hot dogs, then went back and tried until 3am trying to get the poor pup into the truck but they had no luck.

"He just kept pacing up and down the road, but occasionally took a treat from my hand," said Guarascio.

The next day when they went back with some bologna "Baby Bear" was in the same spot.

"We were at a loss for what to do, so we sat in our truck near him for a few hours, occasionally tossing him food and talking to/around him to get him used to us," said Guarascio.

The decided to try another idea.

"I got out and went behind the truck and then fetalized on the gravel road right by the pup with my back to him," Guarascio wrote. "He growled a little bit but eventually got close enough to smell me. I laid in the road for about 20 minutes before he lost interest and wandered off."

She got back in the truck to warm up - it was very cold and started snowing.

"We waited until he went back to a grassy spot on the side of the road to lay down. Dylan dropped me off and drove away," she wrote.

She laid down again and slowing started crawling backward toward Bear.

"Once he started to get uncomfortable, I curled up in a ball and stopped moving. The next hour was spent slowly inching closer and closer to Bear. By now, Dylan had pulled back up across the road to watch us, and was also warning cars that her insane girlfriend was laying on the side of the road and not to hit me."

"Finally, I got right up next to Bear," Guarascio wrote. "He growled a little bit, so I started whimpering and yawning, which is a calming signal, and continued to slowly get closer and closer until I was rested up against the sweet little Baby Bear!"

They cuddled for a while and the dog even backed up to her to get warm.

The two women had to run home but when they came back the dog was in the same spot.

Guarascio was able to go right over to him, and spent the next two hours petting him and talking to him, and finally got a slip lead on him.

"This was the point in which he decided he never wanted to walk again," she wrote. "From 9 pm on I had to carry him everywhere! I had to pick him up and put him in the truck and then we snuggled together until we got to the vet."

They found out he weighed 57 pounds and had developed skin and ear infections, but he's being treated for those problems. Because of his behavior and eventual friendliness, they said they're convinced that he wasn't dumped but instead fell out of an off-roader's vehicle as it traversed some bumps up the mountain, wandered off while a family was camping or otherwise got lost.

They are trying to find the dog's owners. Call 253-327-5318 if you have information.

If no one is found,Useless Bay Sanctuary, a Seahurst rescue group for lost dogs, will help find him a new home.