SEATTLE - A juvenile court judge found probable cause to detain three teens who are suspected in a drug-related shooting that left two people dead and three wounded at a well-known Seattle homeless camp.
The suspects - brothers ages 13, 16 and 17 - were arrested Monday in what police described as a "targeted" Jan. 26 shooting at the longstanding encampment known as the Jungle, about a mile from downtown. On Tuesday, the 17-year-old appeared in court. Lawyers representing the other two waived the teens' court appearances.
All three are being held on investigation of two counts of murder, three counts of assault and firearms violations. Prosecutors convinced a judge to hold the brothers without any sort of bond.
According to probable cause documents, all three were homeless and lived with their mother in a tent by Safeco Field. The brothers went to the Jungle last week to settle a drug debt.
On Tuesday, one brother, the alleged gunman, said very little in court. His attorney addressed the media after, as well as the county prosecutor.
Court documents also say the brothers may be associated in a series of robberies and another murder in October of last year.
The King County Prosecutor's Office says the 16- and 17-year-old suspects can face automatic adult prosecution; that decision could come by Thursday.
Harborview Medical Center said among the three survivors of the shooting, one male patient was in satisfactory condition, one female patient was discharged. The third declined to release information about their condition.