Breaking News
More () »

Driver dies after crashing into Mountlake Terrace home

The driver plowed through a power pole and into a house before everything caught fire. One person inside the home was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, Wash. — One person has died and another was hospitalized after an SUV crashed into a Mountlake Terrance home on Monday morning. 

According to police, the driver veered into oncoming traffic, crashed through a power pole and two fences before heading through a wall and into a house before everything caught fire.

An older couple was inside the home at the time.

Family friend James Thompson said the female homeowner was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and is expected to be okay.

"We just pray for her," he said. "This is the second time they've had a car through the fence. Last time it was an icy day. Someone was coming northbound and lost control and slid up through the fence into the garden."

This time, the driver was southbound on 44th Avenue West near Mountlake Terrace High School. The crash cut electricity to neighbors and left the top portion of a power pole dangling in the air.

RELATED: 'A miracle': Driver survives wild crash after careening off Oak Harbor ledge

The crash during the morning rush hour as students were heading back to school after the holiday break.

"It's actually really surprising that the accident didn't involve any other vehicles or pedestrians because it is a very busy time of the day," said Mountlake Terrace Police Commander Pat Lowe. "It's very unfortunate that someone died in this accident, but we are very lucky that no other people were injured."

Damage to the home is said to be "extensive." Fire crews reminded people of the importance of closing doors when going to bed at night to keep flames from spreading quickly.

The driver died in the crash. Police are continuing to investigate what caused the driver to crash into the home. 

Her name has not yet been released, but she is said to be a local woman in her late twenties.

Fire officials said the driver was not wearing a seat belt.

RELATED: Husband dies trying to save wife killed in Kent mobile home fire