The public should avoid contact with water from Kitsap and Long lakes due to the presence of blue-green algae, according to the Kitsap Public Health District.
Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, can make people sick and kill pets, fish, waterfowl and livestock, the health district said.
If you come in contact with water from Kitsap and Long lakes, rinse off as soon as possible.
Ingesting lake or stream water should be avoided. Residents who rely on lake water for drinking should use bottled water until further notice.
Consuming fish caught during the algae bloom should be avoided, too.
No illnesses have been reported to Kitsap Public Health as of Tuesday afternoon.
People may have an allergic reaction after contact, with symptoms including skin rash, hives, and itchy eyes and throat.
Some symptoms may be similar to those caused by “swimmer’s itch."
Consult a physician if someone drinks water with cyanobacteria and exhibits any of the following: stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, headache or muscle or joint pain.
Seek immediate medical attention if someone shows signs of seizure or convulsions after contacting water with cyanobacteria.
Boats and trailers should be rinsed before going to another lake.
Sightings of cyanobacteria blooms should be reported to Kitsap Public Health at 360-728-2235.
More information about cyanobacteria is available from the Washington State Department of Health website.