Breaking News
More () »

1 teen killed, 1 injured after 4th shooting near Seattle's CHOP

One teen was killed and another was critically injured after a shooting in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood Monday morning.

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) is investigating a deadly shooting near the “Capitol Hill Organized Protest” (CHOP) zone Monday morning.

Police responded to the area around 3 a.m. and found a Jeep Cherokee "riddled with bullets," Police Chief Carmen Best said.

Susan Gregg, a spokesperson for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, said early Monday an unidentified male and a 14-year-old were transported to the hospital in critical condition after being shot. The Seattle Police Department later said the unidentified male is 16 years old.

The 14-year-old arrived at the hospital by a private vehicle from the CHOP around 3:15 a.m. 

The 16-year-old was transported to the hospital by Seattle Fire Department medics and arrived at the hospital around 3:30 a.m. The teen later died.

RELATED: 'Enough is enough': Seattle police chief condemns latest shooting near 'CHOP' zone that killed teen

The Jeep was towed away from the CHOP Monday morning. 

Homicide detectives searched for evidence in the Jeep but it was "abundantly clear" people had gone through the vehicle after the shooting, according to Chief Best.

RELATED: Class action lawsuit filed against Seattle mayor, Gov. Inslee over CHOP zone

Detectives interviewed protesters who said they were in the CHOP at the time of the shooting. People are not cooperating, according to Chief Best.

There is no suspect description at this time.

This is at least the fourth shooting in or near the CHOP in nine days.

RELATED: Protesters march to Seattle Mayor Durkan's house as 'CHOP' scene continues

Seattle officials said barriers around the CHOP would be dismantled on Sunday, but the scene remained intact as of Monday morning.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said last week that police will begin returning to the East Precinct in the CHOP, although a timeline wasn't provided.

After the shooting Monday morning, Chief Best asked people to leave the area.

Before You Leave, Check This Out