Several new restaurants and lots of new snacks have joined old favorites in The Pen and elsewhere in the stadium, just in time for this week's Mariners home opener.
Safeco Field's Executive Chef Taylor Park shows us some mouthwatering new subs at the Sultan of Sandwich in The Pen and the fabulous new donut bar at Safeco Field!
The Mariners' home opener is this Thursday, March 29, when the Cleveland Indians come to town. First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 pm. Felix Hernandez will make his tenth consecutive home opener start and you can bet the King's Court will be in full force.
Here's more Opening Day information from the Mariners:
- Seattle Mariners Opening Night, presented by KeyBank, gets started at 4:40 p.m. when the gates of Safeco Field open with a special countdown at the Home Plate Gate.
- All fans will receive a 2018 Mariners magnetic schedule, courtesy of Safeco Insurance. The pregame ceremony will start at approximately 6:30 p.m. It will be streamed live on Mariners.com and ROOT SPORTS will carry it as part of a live one-hour pregame program beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Here are some of the highlights of the pregame ceremony:
- The traditional ceremonial first run around the bases by a Make-A-Wish® child will feature nine-year old Makoa Saffery of Kingston who is beating lymphoma. Makoa had to put his Little League career on hold after last year’s cancer diagnosis. He is now regaining his strength and is looking forward to being the first person to “touch them all” at Safeco Field on Opening Night.
- The Ceremonial First Pitch by Rick Griffin, Seattle Mariners Trainer Emeritus, who retired at the end of the 2017 season after a 35-year career as the Mariners Head Athletic Trainer.
- There will be a moment of silence for the Mariners longtime former Video Coordinator Carl Hamilton, Wayne Norton, Mariners longtime international scout, and broadcasting legend and Washington State University graduate Keith Jackson.
- Nelson Cruz will receive his second career Silver Slugger Award. Last season, he led the American League in RBI with 119 and ranking 4th in home runs with 39. Nelson, who now holds the Mariners record for homers by a designated hitter, also received the Edgar Martinez Outstanding Designated Hitter Award, which Edgar will present to Nelson during the pregame ceremony.
- Dee Gordon will receive the Lou Brock Award for leading the National League in stolen bases last season with 60.
New Entry Procedures
Re-entry is no longer allowed at Safeco Field. Starting this season, fans can no longer scan out and re-enter later with the same ticket. This change in policy brings Safeco Field in line with the majority of other MLB facilities and in compliance with MLB recommended best practices for fan safety. Fans are reminded to give themselves plenty of time to pass through bag check and walk-through metal detectors at security checkpoints at all gates. Also note, bags are restricted to 16” x 16” x 8”. No oversized bags will be allowed inside Safeco Field. A paid locker service is available on the plaza next to the Safeco Field parking garage.
Safeco Field has two CLEAR Lanes to expedite entry. Registration is free, takes only a few minutes and fans can begin using the CLEAR Lanes immediately after signing up.
Water Bottles Okay
It is now okay to bring in one, sealed, clear plastic water bottle per fan. The bottles must be 32 ounces or smaller. Open containers, or bottles containing other drinks, are still prohibited.