SEATTLE — The founder of Eco Collective Genevieve Livingston joins New Day Northwest to talk about how you can throw a dinner party with zero waste. Livingston’s will make a zero-waste sweet potato and black bean bowl and talk about party supplies that make for a great party with no garbage.
Livingston lives a zero-waste lifestyle and encourages others to do the same in her career. At Eco Collective Livingston sells zero waste products for every occasion, including supplies for your kitchen, bathroom, beauty routine and more.
Zero-Waste Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowl
Recipe adapted from Mama Eats Plants blog.
- 1x medium sweet potato for every person eating
- 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (2 tablespoons for every person eating)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thinly, seeds removed if you don’t like spice
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Approx 4 loose cups cabbage (1 large handful for every person eating)
- 1 large juicy lime, zested and juiced
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans black beans (1/2 a can for every person eating)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin, 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400.
While it’s preheating:
- scrub, dry, and cube sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks
- toss them in oil to coat + the spices and salt
- place on a baking sheet and into the oven when it's up to temp. and let cook until tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- heat up a dry skillet (no oil) till hot, add pumpkin seeds, and toast, shaking pan often until they start to turn color and pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, start on the slaw:
- with a knife or mandolin, thinly slice the cabbage and place in a large bowl
- chop and add in the cilantro
- thinly slice and add in 1/2 of the onion + the bell pepper and jalapeño
- zest and juice the lime and add to the bowl
- drizzle in a tablespoon oil and sprinkle salt and pepper
- toss it all together and taste. Adjust as needed and set aside.
Then, make the beans:
- Chop the remaining 1/2 onion finely and heat up some oil in a pot.
- Add onion and sauté until softened and golden
- Add the 2 cloves minced garlic and sauté till fragrant, about another minute. Add in the 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I also like to add 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon, a trick I learned from @ohdeardrea, but up to you, ground coriander is also great if you have it)
- Open the cans of beans and dump into the pot
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes
- Taste and add salt as needed
Now, assemble the bowls with sweet potatoes, black beans, and slaw. Sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!