Margaret's guest co-host, Terry Hollimon from The Barbershop Show, shared how to prepare his signature shrimp and grits dish.
Catch The Barbershop Show, Wednesdays at 6:00 pm on Sports Radio KJR 950, or stream past episodes anytime on their website.
Connect with The Barbershop Show on Facebook
Here's Terry's recipe:
Shrimp and Grits
1 lb Shrimp
1 cups of Grits
4 cups of chicken broth (divided in half)
1 cup of heavy cream (divided in half)
1/2 cup of Sharp cheddar cheese
3 strips of bacon, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/4 of a medium sweet onion, diced
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
Your favorite hot sauce
- Peel and devein the shrimp and place in a small bowl. Season them liberally with the Cajun seasoning and Italian seasoning and set them aside.
- In a saucepan, boil 2 cups of chicken broth. Lower the heat to medium and slowly add 1 cup of grits while whisking often. Cook for 5 minutes. Add grated cheese, 1/2 cup of cream and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a sauté pan fry diced bacon on medium-high until it BEGINS to brown. When it begins to brown, add diced onions and cook for additional 3-4 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove the mixture and set aside leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the sauté pan and return to medium-high heat. Sauté the seasoned shrimp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove shrimp when done and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoon of butter to the pan again, with 2 tablespoons of flour. Return to medium heat and stir constantly for 5 minutes, making sure to not burn. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of heavy cream, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce. Stir until blended, and then add bacon/onion/garlic mixture and finally the shrimp. Heat all ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve the shrimp and sauce mixture on top of the grits and enjoy!