The U District's Cafe Racer re-opened last week under new ownership after it was closed in October 2017.
Jeff Ramsey is the new owner, and he shows us how to cook a delicious vegan and gluten-free dish.
Polenta with Coconut, Mushroom, Leek Ragout:
This delicious dish is naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 18oz. package pre-made polenta (to be prepared separately)
- 1 large leek
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- 2 Tbl. Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 Tsp. ground garlic
- Olive Oil to use in the cooking of vegetables.
- Trim, split and cut leek in to ¼” wide pieces. Wash thoroughly and drain. Put 1Tbl. Olive oil in sauce pan along with leeks and sweat until tender. Sautee mushrooms in skillet until lightly browned. Add mushrooms to leeks and stir together. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Slice polenta into ¾” rounds. Heat skillet and add 2Tbs. olive oil. Carefully place polenta rounds in oil and fry for 5 minutes flip and repeat.
- Plate and top with ragout.