Stylist Darcy Camden shares stylish outfits that are perfect for mothers-to-be at each trimester, complete with must-have maternity items.
JC Penney black jersey skirt LINK
Belly Buds LINK
Motherhood Maternity shape wear LINK
Jessica Simpson Maternity
Darcy’s tips for a stylish pregnancy:
- Shop as you grow. Don’t rush out and buy a ton of maternity clothes in your first trimester. It’s nearly impossible to predict what you will need and want to wear, especially considering your pregnancy will span multiple seasons and temperatures. Pick up a few new pieces every month to avoid buying a bunch of clothing you don’t need.
- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat! Don’t worry about repeating outfits frequently. Pregnancy is such a temporary state, you don’t need to invest in a huge new wardrobe that you will only wear for a few months. Instead, get a few great things and proudly wear them over and over.
- Experiment with color. Resist the urge to hide yourself in black and grey. Experiment with bright, bold colors and look for hues that you might not normally choose. Wearing colors you’ve never worn before is a great way to celebrate your pregnancy.
- Mix and match. Your pregnancy wardrobe can—and probably will—be a mix of maternity and non-maternity clothes. You may be surprised how well certain on-trend items from your favorite stores fit over your growing belly. Look for items with at least 5% stretch such as elastane, lycra, or spandex.
- Stay true to your style. Even though you’re pregnant, you’re still YOU. If you loved skinny jeans and striped tops before you became pregnant, look for similar items in maternity wear!
- Use the "Half” Rule. Maternity clothes can be expensive! A smart way to budget for maternity clothes is to try to spend about half of what you would normally spend on a (non-maternity) item. For example: If you would normally spend about $75-$100 on a dress that you might plan to have for years and wear multiple times, look for a maternity dress in the $40-$50 range. That way, you’ll avoid overspending on items you’ll only wear for a few months.
Darcy’s maternity must-haves:
- Jeans. 1-2 pairs of basic maternity jeans will get you through your pregnancy. Avoid stretching out your favorite pre-pregnancy jeans; pack them away for now, you’ll be back in them before you know it!
- Leggings. Black leggings are comfortable and stylish under tunics and shorter dresses. You’ll need a little extra coverage on your legs when bending over becomes a challenge in your third trimester.
- Comfortable shoes. Your favorite heels or high boots might seem impossibly uncomfortable—or even dangerous—during your pregnancy. Make sure to have a pair of flats or wedges to avoid discomfort.
- A great dress. Inevitably, an event or two will come up during your pregnancy, and you’ll want to look and feel your best. Take the time to find something you love and have fun dressing up your bump (and take lots of pictures so you can document your “glow”).
- Fitted tanks t-shirts. Stock up on maternity staples like tanks and t-shirts. Look for fitted options and wear them alone or layered under sweaters and jackets.
- Accessories. Jewelry and other accessories like scarves can add flair to your pregnancy wardrobe. You can change the look of an outfit simply by changing your accessories (so no one will notice you’re wearing the same shirt twice in one week).
- A warm coat. If you’re going to be in your second or third trimester during cold months, you’ll want a warm coat built for your bump; your “regular” winter coat might not zip over your belly and won’t keep you as warm or dry. Pro Tip: look for maternity coats during the summer at thrift stores!
Darcy will by hosting a maternity fashion show presented by Westfield Southcenter at the Baby Bump Expo NW on May 7th at the Washington State Convention Center. Visit babybumpexponw.com for tickets and info.