SEATTLE — Ascend Prime Steak & Sushi offers one of a kind experiences and dishes for diners in their elevated restaurant. And we mean elevated literally. Ascend is on the 31st floor of the Lincoln Square Tower in Bellevue, offering unobstructed views of Seattle, the Olympics, the Cascade Range and Lake Washington. Ascend adds to the experience by offering dishes you can’t get anywhere else, like steak made from olive-fed beef, so tender it will melt in your mouth.
Executive Chef Sean Mayhew joins New Day Northwest to talk about the exceptional dining experience and demo Ascend’s tomato salad and Olive Oil Wagyu steak.
Visit Ascend Prime Steak & Sushi at 10400 NE 4th St, #3100, Bellevue.
Check out the recipe for the tomato salad below!
Tofu Heirloom Tomato Salad by Executive Chef Sean Mayhew:
- 1oz Silken Tofu*
- .5oz Silken Tofu Curd*
- .5oz Smoke Ume Tomato Jam*
- .5oz Pistachio Pesto*
- .25oz Saba Vinaigrette*
- 4oz Heirloom Tomato
- 2oz Toybox Heirloom Tomato
- .25oz Preserved Walnuts
- .125oz Micro Basil
- .125oz Malabar spinach
- .125oz Huckleberry Tomato
In a mixing bowl combine unique cut styles of heirloom tomato and season with saba soy seasoning, shallots, shiso and parsley, lightly season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. On a plate begin to place silken tofu and tofu curd in different areas and spread-out. Begin to place seasoned heirloom tomatoes, add the smoked tomato jam, pistachio pesto. Garnish with preserved walnuts, micro basil and Malabar spinach. **Serves 2.
Smoked Tomato Jam
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 6 ea Roma tomatoes ¼ cut
- 1 cup Sundried tomato
- 1 tsp. Tomato paste
- .75 cup Katz sparkling vinegar
- 6 pieces Umeboshi
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Fresh cracked pepper
- In a large sauce pan add tomatoes and sugar and cook till sugar is well caramelized but not burnt.
- Add tomato paste and sundried and cook lightly, once sour flavors are gone from the paste add remaining ingredients except umeboshi and cook out remaining moisture from tomatoes and vinegar.
- Cool and add to blender with umeboshi puree till smooth texture, do not pass
- Cold smoke the puree for about 15 mins. Or until jam has a nice smoky flavor.
- 8oz Saba
- 16oz Soy Sauce
- 1oz Lemon Oil
- 1oz Diced Shallots
- 1oz Shiso leaves minced
- 1oz Parsley minced
- Mix Soy and saba together and store in a squeeze bottle for service
- Remaining ingredients will be added to order
- Add Saba Soy mix, then add in freshly minced shiso parsley and diced shallots, season with salt and pepper. Use this mixture to dress tomatoes for tofu salad.
Pistachio Mint Pesto
- 4oz Pistachios
- 8oz Basil
- 8oz Mint
- 8bunch Shiso Leaves
- .5oz Micro planed Ginger
- 4oz Avocado Oil
- 2oz Merula Olive Oil
- Lightly Toast Pistachios till fragrant.
- Rough chop all herbs before putting in Robot coup.
- Add all ingredients to Robot coup and Puree till smooth, pistachio should be well ground but not completely pureed.
- Cool quickly and ensure that puree never gets too warm, or too cold.
- Season to taste.