Makini’s Warming Winter Chili
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 (16-ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained I like to use red beans and chickpeas and pinto beans
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein Bob’s red mill is a good brand
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro reserved
- Add vegetable oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, peppers and cook till soft.
- Add the garlic near the end.
- Add textured vegetable protein (like Bob Red Mill) and continue cooking.
- Stir in beans and remaining ingredients
- Simmer on low for about an hour until the beans split and the chili is as thick as you like it.
- Serve with cilantro, avocado, or coconut cream.