Ever make meatless meatballs? Chef Howell shows you how.
If you're in search of some good comfort food in these turbulent times chef Makini Howell has a meatless take on supper staple.
Chef Makini Howell's Recipe for Spaghetti and Meatless Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Marinara
Sauce & Pasta Ingredients:
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes (heirloom if you want to get fancy) halved
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons or more chopped garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and Black pepper
- Oregano (optional)
- Cane sugar
In a sauté pan or small saucepot heat oil, add in garlic and allow to brown just slightly add sliced tomatoes and cook until tomatoes start to soften and pop, add in tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste and about a teaspoon of sugar. Add in 1 teaspoon of oregano if using. Let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes.
Spaghetti cooked according to package directions
While the sauce is cooking, make the meatballs.
- 1 package of beyond meat spicy Italian sausage ‘’casing’’ removed,
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (recipe follows).
In a mixing bowl break up the sausage and season, shape into about 1’’ balls or larger if you like. To cook the meatballs, heat a skillet to med-high, coat the bottom with veggie oil, cook the meatballs until meatballs are golden brown on all sides and the texture of the plant meat firms up into a ball.
- 3 tablespoons dry parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion 2 ½ teaspoons dry oregano
- 3 tablespoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients together
Once the sauce is done and the spaghetti is cooked and the meatballs are ready, you are almost ready for dinner.
Some crusty artisan bread is a great pairing. Recipe to follow for Makini's spread.
Whipped fresh herb butter (Optional)
- 1 stick of earth balance butter spread whipped for about 5 minutes in a stand mixer
- 2 teaspoons browned chopped garlic
To brown garlic heat a pan with veggie oil and add garlic, toast in the pan until lightly brown and crunchy, drain the oil and add just the garlic to the butter once it cools.