Makini's Avocado Toast with Beetroot Hummus & salt and pepper Tofu
- 2 pieces rustic bread
- 1 lb firm tofu.
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup or more beetroot hummus (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon Dukkah spice (recipe follows)
- Olive oil and fresh lemon for garnish.
- 2 cups beets, roughly chopped (about 2 medium of 3 small beets)
- 1/2 cups chickpeas (made at home is ideal, but canned is OK)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
In a blender or small food processor combine chopped beets chickpeas tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. Blend all ingredients until mixture is smooth. Dukkah spice and olive oil, for garnish
Dukkah Spice Blend
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- ¾ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- ¾ cup coriander seeds, toasted
- ½ cup pistachios, toasted
- ½ cup cashews, toasted
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chop nuts fine, add other dry ingredients and mix together by hand in a bowl
Slice tofu into 1/8 inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper pan fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and dukkah spice.
Avocado & Toast
Use half of one avocado
Slice avocado in 1/8th-inch slices. Divide avocado in half and set aside half for each piece of toast.
Toast sliced bread in a toaster. Remove from toaster and spread 1-2 oz hummus on each slice of bread.
Top bread with spiced tofu and avocado slices. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, sliced lemon, and extra dukkah spice.