Kyndra Holley chats about her new cookbook all about the keto diet and shows us how to make a Philly Cheesesteak casserole.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole:
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes - cook time: 30 minutes
This recipe is a quick-and-easy crowd pleaser. For a more traditional Philly cheesesteak, sauté some thinly sliced rib-eye steak with the peppers and onions before transferring the skillet to the oven. Or, better yet, go one step further and add a package of cream cheese and make a hot Philly cheesesteak dip.
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1.5 pounds precooked deli-style roast beef, thinly sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut the tops off the peppers, remove the ribs and seeds, and thinly slice the peppers. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large deep-sided ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers to the skillet. Cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and the peppers are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the roast beef to the skillet and mix with the vegetables. Top with the provolone cheese, then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then finish under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbling.