Baseboard heater to blame for sparking Burien apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on January 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 29 at 7:20 AM

BURIEN, Wash. --  A malfunctioning baseboard heater is to blame for a three-alarm fire that swept through four floors of large apartment complex in Burien Monday evening.  

The fire heavily damaged the building and displacing dozens of residents. No injuries were reported.

Several fire units were mopping up hots spots at the 24-unit Tra-Lee Apartments at SW 124th Street and Ambaum Blvd SW and making sure everyone was accounted for.

The fire broke out around 5 p.m. after reports that smoke was billowing through three different floors of the building. Firefighters raced to the scene; at one point, more than 70 firefighters were battling the flames.

Firefighters managed to quickly put out the flames and evacuate the building. They were trying to find shelter for all the displaced residents.

The malfunctioning baseboard heater is being analyzed. 

Print
Email
|