Ten years of TSA security measures

Print
Email
|

by Ryan O'Donnell / AZFAMILY.com

KING5.com

Posted on August 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 22 at 10:55 AM

PHOENIX – Anybody who has flown recently knows the procedure. While some miss the good ol’ days of waiting for somebody at the gate, they understand why it went away.

“Yeah, it was nice,” said Shelby Butler, who was waiting to pick her boyfriend up at Sky Harbor. “If it’s for our own safety, I’m okay with it.”

The 10-year anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks is coming up. It’s also the 10-year anniversary of the Transportation Security Administration.

“A lot of things have been done, but we’re not there yet because the threat is constantly evolving. We need to constantly evolve,” said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez.

Just last week TSA agents at Sky Harbor found what appeared to be a fake bomb making its way through security. Three people were arrested and, as of right now, they’re still in federal custody.

“People ask about what’s going on at the airport, is security a real thing, we have people like that and I can’t say with 100 percent assurance that they were good people,” commented Melendez.

Not everybody is happy with the TSA’s increased security measures. One local woman showed her frustration by going through security in just her underwear. Others have criticized TSA for its “pat-down” procedure, especially on children.  

“The TSA will concede at some of the pat-downs and some of the processes can be evasive, can be uncomfortable, but the fact is, there’s a real threat out there that we need to find,” said Melendez.

With the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks coming up, Melendez wants to assure everybody traveling that day, that extra security measures will be in place even though passengers might not see it.

Print
Email
|