CLARKSTON, Wash. -- Mica Craig was shopping in the outdoor garden department of a Wal-Mart in Clarkston, WA when he thought he saw a stick lying in the aisle.
He reached down to pick it up, and discovered his mistake when the stick -- which was actually a rattlesnake -- latched onto his hand.
The 47-year-old man says he started screaming and managed to shake the snake loose at his feet before stomping it to death.
The Lewiston Tribune reports a bystander drove Craig to a local emergency room. Craig says he was treated with six bags of anti-venom and has been told that his hand may be permanently disfigured. He was bitten on Saturday and said doctors expect him to remain hospitalized until Tuesday.
UPDATE: The original AP story cites the incident took place at the Lewiston, ID Wal-Mart. However, research by KREM 2 shows Wal-Mart is located in Clarkston, WA.