There is a new trend in travel: a growing number of women are going it on their own.
One hotel group reports a more than 50 percent increase in women booking a room alone. The American Automobile Association has even begun to offer a class for women traveling solo.
Cathy Marshall has advice from a seasoned jetsetter who has visited 74 countries.
Top tips for women traveling solo include:
- Arrive with at least $200 in the country's currency
- Keep a flashlight handy in your purse
- Wear a security wallet under clothing to keep cash and your passport close
- Read as much as you can about the area you're visiting
- Choose either a small hotel where you can meet the owner, or a large brand name hotelTips