Beginning Friday night, westbound I-90 will be reduced to one lane near Bellevue Way, then rerouted to the express lanes until early Monday morning.
The lane closures begin Friday at 11 p.m. and end 5 a.m. Monday. Drivers traveling from the Eastside of Lake Washington should plan for long delays on westbound I-90, Interstate 405, and westbound State Route 520.
Crews will be restriping the roadway and shifting the three general-purpose lanes to make room for the new HOV lane. They're also doing work inside the Mount Baker and Mercer Island tunnels.
- 11 p.m. Friday, May 19, until 5 a.m. Monday, May 22
- All westbound I-90 traffic between Bellevue Way and Rainier Avenue South will shift to the express lanes.
- Drivers heading to Mercer Island must exit westbound I-90 at East Mercer Way. There are no westbound exits to Mercer Island from the express lanes.
- Those wishing to travel from Mercer Island to Seattle should enter the express lanes at 77th Avenue Southeast or Island Crest Way.
- The westbound I-90 exit to Rainier Avenue South will be closed. Drivers will need to use the Fourth Avenue South exit and follow a signed detour via eastbound I-90.
- Flammable materials are currently prohibited on I-90. Drivers hauling flammable cargo must use alternate routes such as I-405 or State Routes 520 or 522.
- The I-90 Trail will remain open.
Other special events happening over the weekend that also impact traffic:
Saturday, May 20
- U-District Street Fair, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Seattle Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake: CenturyLink Field, 2 p.m.
- Seattle Mariners vs. Chicago White Sox: Safeco Field, 7:10 p.m.
- Stars on Ice: KeyArena, 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, May 21
- Beat the Bridge: Husky Stadium, 7:30 a.m.
- U-District Street Fair, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m
- Seattle Mariners vs. Chicago White Sox, Safeco Field, 1:10 p.m.
- Seattle Storm vs. Washington Mystics, KeyArena, 4 p.m.
© 2017 KING-TV