PORT ORCHARD, Wash. - A candlelight vigil was held Monday night in the parking lot of a Walmart where a shootout the day before took the life of a man and a young woman, and injured two sheriff's deputies.

The vigil was to honor the victims and to help the community start to heal.

We live in a world that doesn't always turn out right, said one mourner.

Authorities have identified the suspect as 31-year-old Anthony A. Martinez of Salt Lake City. Police say he ran from deputies before opening fire, sparking the shootout.

State Patrol Trooper Krista Hedstrom says the identity of the woman has not yet been verified. She is likely a 13-year-old runaway from South Salt Lake City.

Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor, speaking outside Tacoma General Hospital, said both deputies are expected to recover from their injuries. One was released from the hospital Monday afternoon.

That's good news, said Pastor. It could have turned out much differently.

We are grateful, we are relieved that these deputies will recover, he said.

Sunday's violence came after the Kitsap County Sheriff's deputies answered a call about a suspicious person at the store in Port Orchard.

Two male deputies located the man and tried to talk to him but he began running, pursued by the officers.

For reasons not yet known, the suspect turned and fired multiple shots, sheriff's spokesman Scott Wilson said.

Both men were hit and were unable to return fire. A third deputy shot and killed Martinez, and in the middle of it all, a female who was with Martinez was also shot and later died. But it's unclear who shot her.

It could go either way. I mean we have a suspect, we have a deputy, they're both firing, said Trooper Krista Hedstrom.

Martinez is currently facing felony kidnapping charges in Utah. Prosecutors say last fall, he kidnapped 13-year-old Astrid Valdivia, but they were found days later in California.

Last week, Valdivia ran away again. Authorities suspected she was with Martinez in a blue 1994 Plymouth Voyager van, much like the one seen at the Walmart parking lot Sunday night.

Utah authorities say Martinez was originally friends with the girl's family, but a judge issued a no-contact order in November

But authorities can't yet say if the girl was the one killed with Martinez.

It's a possibility, I'm not going to say that it's not because it definitely is a possibility, but we have not made any type of positive identification yet, said Hedstrom.

KING 5's Joe Fryer and Jim Forman contributed to this report.

Read or Share this story: