TACOMA, Wash. -- Two men admit they robbed a Tacoma man, but blame the other for pulling the trigger that killed him.

Prosecutors have Jeremy Bennett, 17, and Andrew Boyd, 18, plead not-guilty Friday afternoon to First Degree Murder, Robbery and Unlawful Possession of a Firearm.

The two are accused of murdering Larry Howse, 54, in the parking garage of the Sky Terrace Condominiums on August 31.

Titeana Bankston, 20, and Jheri Flood, 24, were charged with helping the suspects hide and burning Howse s stolen wallet and watch in a barbecue after the murder.

Jaron Bennett, 24, Jeremy s brother, is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm for a gun found during a search of his bedroom.

All five suspects deny their charges.

Prosecutors say Jeremy Bennett and Andrew Boyd followed Howse into the parking garage, robbed him and then demanded that he take his pants off. When Howse didn t, he was shot two times.

According to court documents, a witness standing on her balcony told police she heard two men on the street below. She heard a voice say, Let s go get him, shortly before she heard gunshots.

How you can be so cold and so callous I just don t understand it, said Dave Howse, the victim s brother.

On September 3, Boyd and Jaron Bennett stole alcohol from a nearby Walgreens. A distinctive jacket worn by Boyd was also seen in surveillance video from the murder, which led to the arrests on Thursday.

I d like to think they were remorseful. This was just a shot out of the blue they made a mistake that night, said Dave Howse.

While family and friends find comfort the accused criminals are off the streets, it doesn t take away their devastation.

I ll never forget what an amazing friend, amazing father and amazing man of faith he was, said David Strong, victim's friend.

While who pulled the trigger remains a mystery, prosecutors say that detail doesn t matter.

Each says the other is the shooter, both say they were present when the robbery took place, said Deputy Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney Phil Sorensen.

Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered that Boyd and Jeremy Bennett stay in custody in lieu of $3 million and $2 million bail respectively.

All five defendants have a hearing October 30, with a jury trial scheduled for to begin November 19.

Read or Share this story: