Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

A suspect is dead after a shooting near Arlington prompted a large SWAT response in Arlington on Sunday afternoon, the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office said.

However, spokeswoman Shari Ireton could not confirm if law enforcement shot and killed the suspect, or if he died another way.

It all started about 1:30 p.m. when a man called to report he had been shot in the leg while standing in his driveway, said Lt. Steve Dittoe of the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

When deputies arrived on the scene, the citizen reported that he'd been hearing shots for about 15 minutes.

Immediately our officers understood that there was someone in the woods, shooting at either vehicles or people in the area, so we initiated a SWAT team call out, said Dittoe.

Dittoe said SWAT team members and an armored vehicle also came under fire.

From what I've heard from down at the scene there was a lot of shooting this afternoon - at us, he said.

People who live in the area of the 17000 block of Jim Creek Road were asked to stay in their homes and report anything suspicious.

Access in the area of the scene remained limited through the night until officers could confirm there was not a second suspect.

Neighbor Michael Cooper, who lives across the street from the property in question, said he hears shots come from the property every Sunday afternoon.

I don't like high-powered rifle shooting, Cooper said. I'd walk out in my yard and listen just to hear if any bullets were coming by because it sounded like it was right in my backyard.

About 70 people were at a Sons of Norway camp at Riley Lake. They were in lockdown.

We all just banded together and made sure that we let everybody know what was going on. and told everybody to get out of the pool and the lake and not be out in the open field and everybody's just been kind of waiting to hear updates, said camper Berit Kuchs.

Police did not immediately comment on how the suspect died and they continued to search for other possible suspects into the night.

We are going to stay out here until we are sure that this community is safe and we've dealt with anyone out here that's got a firearm and shooting at people, said Dittoe.

The man who was shot was taken to the hospital with a non-life threatening injury.

Read or Share this story: