SEATTLE -- With injuries taking their toll on Washington's front court, junior college transfer Mike Anderson stepped up in a big way for the Huskies.

Anderson scored 19 points and grabbed 16 rebounds as Washington rallied from an eight-point second-half deficit and earned a 92-89 victory over Long Beach State Saturday afternoon.

Mike Anderson was just sensational. Sensational, Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said. Thirteen rebounds in the second half. Rebounds when we needed them. Big put backs. He was very good.

Anderson, a transfer from Moberly Area Community College, converted a free throw with 14.2 seconds left to play to give the Huskies a three-point cushion. Mike Caffey got a clear look at a 3-pointer from the right wing for Long Beach State but couldn't knock down the shot and Washington held on for the victory.

Six Huskies finished in double-figures with Anderson leading the way.

I was just helping my team, Anderson said. It was just me competing. I like to compete. That's all.

Anderson now has led Washington in rebounds in four of his seven games with the team.

He's been rebounding like crazy, but he just gave a Herculean effort for us tonight, Romar said. ...He just helped wherever needed. He's playing out of position and, I keep saying, he's a guy that's not saying `you're messing me up for the league, man. I'm not a (power forward).' Mike just wants to play basketball and compete.

It's been a much-needed boost for the Huskies, who lost Jernard Jerreau to an ACL tear in their season opener and will be without Desmond Simmons until the end of December after knee surgery Nov. 7.

At his size, him rebounding the way he does is just amazing, teammate Perris Blackwell said of Anderson.

The Huskies trailed 69-61 with 6:23 remaining in regulation after back-to-back baskets from Dan Jennings to extend the lead for the 49ers. Jennings finished with 22 points.

Nigel Williams-Goss hit a 3-pointer and a floater along the baseline on consecutive possessions for Washington to close within 69-66 with four minutes to play. Caffey responded with a 3-pointer of his own from the corner to extend the lead back to six.

The Huskies began to attack the rim and continued to close the gap. Anderson converted a pair of three-point plays as the 49ers lead dwindled to just two at 74-72. After a pair of free throws from Bradford Jones, Andrew Andrews converted another three-point opportunity for the Huskies to pull within one.

Caffey was outstanding for the 49ers for most of the game but started to cramp up late and struggled in the latter stages of the game. Caffey finished with 28 points to lead Long Beach State but was 0 for 3 at the foul line and missed all five shots he took in the second overtime.

Mike is an elite point guard but an elite point guard can't go 0-for-3 from the line at the end with the game on the line, Long Beach coach Dan Monson said. Other than that he was as good as it comes. He's got to be able to close games out when he's got that opportunity.

Caffey missed the front end of a one-and-one for Long Beach State and the 49ers fouled Perris Blackwell, sending him to the line with 58.9 left in the half. Blackwell converted both free throws as Washington took their first lead, 77-76, since the 14:09 mark of the second half.

David Samuels stole the ball from C.J. Wilcox on the Huskies next possession and Caffey converted on a fastbreak to give the lead back to the 49ers with just 13.8 seconds remaining.

Williams-Goss was fouled going to the hoop with 10.2 seconds left but he converted just one free throw to tie the game 78-all. Caffey missed a layup and Wilcox blocked Kris Gulley's put back chance as the game went to overtime.

With Washington leading 81-80, Anderson stole the ball from Gulley, leading to Andrews' fast-break layup. Wilcox then blocked a Samuels' jumper and Andrews fed Darin Johnson on an alley-oop as the Huskies matched their largest lead of the game at 85-80 with two minutes to play in the extra session.

But the Huskies couldn't hold the lead. Caffey drilled a 3-pointer to pull within two at 85-83 with 42.2 seconds left in the first overtime. Anderson missed a layup with 14 seconds left and Caffey tied the game again with a driving layup to force a second overtime.

You have to do the little things to win on the road and we just didn't do enough of them, Monson said.

Andrews and Blackwell each finished with 18 points for Washington. Wilcox scored 15. Williams-Goss and Johnson each finished with 10.

Wilcox converted his first two 3-pointers of the game to move past Ryan Appleby for most 3-pointers in Washington school history.

Read or Share this story: