Olympia native, Medal of Honor recipient and Vietnam veteran Bruce Crandall will raise the 12th Man Flag at Sunday s game vs. the Minnesota Vikings.
Major Crandall led more than 900 combat missions in two tours of duty during the Vietnam War. (WATCHVIDEO) His heroics were featured in the film We Were Soldiers.
The Seahawks are hosting game day activities in honor of U.S. military and veterans during Sunday s game. The Salute to Service game is presented by USAA, the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the Seahawks and the NFL.
- The team will host a gate drive in partnership with Cell Phone for Soldiers presented by T-Mobile to support mobile phone collection efforts that benefit military personnel stationed around the world. Fans are invited to bring their gently-used cell phones and drop-off at all stadium gates. Proceeds from the gate drives are used to purchase prepaid calling cards for deployed troops.
- U.S. Army Staff Sergeant and Medal of Honor recipient Leroy Petry will lead the team out of the tunnel.
- During the anthem, a field-size U.S. flag will be unfurled by more than 150 local service men and women. The anthem will be performed by West Seattle native and former Army reservist Mycle Wastman.
- The team will wear stickers on their helmets in honor of all military branches
- During halftime, 15 soldiers will participate in an on-field Purple Heart Ceremony from the 1St Special Forces Group (Airborne), JBLM.
Fans are encouraged to join the Twitter conversation with their comments and photos at the official hashtag #SeahawksSalute.