EDMONDS, Wash. One person was found dead at the scene of an apartment fire in Edmonds Monday night.

It happened in the 8600 block of 240th Street Southwest.

A man living downstairs said his dog was the first to notice something was wrong.

My puppy was playing with his toys and he stopped playing and looked around, said William Brisebois. He had never done that before.

Brisebois said a woman lives by herself in the upstairs unit. He thought it sounded like she was rearranging her furniture.

It was kind of weird. I never heard any noise coming from there before, he said.

When an alarm went off, he called 911. Smoke filled the living room when firefighters arrived.

(We) entered the second floor unit, extinguished the fire very quickly, then discovered there was a victim, said Leslie Hynes, spokesperson for Snohomish Fire District 1.

All firefighters would say is that an adult was dead inside, along with a cat. There was no sign of any crime.

I've seen small fires where people were overcome by smoke, said Hynes. But she was not sure if that was the case here.

Read or Share this story: