The following is a list of local and national phone numbers to keep on hand in the event of an earthquake:

Citizens and businesses with earthquake damage should report the information to their insurance company, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and their local emergency management office.

FEMA Disaster Line 1-800-621-FEMA
1-800-462-7585(TYY) for the hearing impaired

The toll free number is available 5a.m. - 9p.m., seven days a week.

Individual assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, minor home repairs, loss of personal property and other disaster-related expenses. A FEMA agent will ask that they provide the address of the damaged dwelling, the cause of damage, a description and date of loss as well as insurance information. Inspectors must visit homes to verify property damage before applications are processed.

If the residence or business is located within a city, people should contact the city emergency management office. If the residence or business is in an unincorporated area of a county, people should report the damage to the county emergency management office

When calling your city/county emergency numbers, be prepared to provide the following information.

  1. Name, address and phone number of owner or resident
  2. Whether the resident rents or owns the property that was damaged
  3. The house or building number with street address
  4. What was damaged: primary residence, secondary residents (or vacation) residence, mobile home, farm or business
  5. Whether the home or building is habitable
  6. Whether the owner has homeowners, flood, business, natural hazard or earthquake insurance
  7. A dollar estimate of the damage (property damage or loss of revenue)
  8. The percentage of the loss that was uninsured
  9. Description of the damages

If you have immediate needs such as food, clothing or shelter, call the local chapter of the American Red Cross to find the locations of the nearest ARC shelter. You can also call the American Red Cross disaster hotline at 1-866-GET-INFO (866-438-4636)

Home earthquake insurance

  • Your rates and eligibility may vary depending on your home's risk factors, such as its location and it's type of construction so its important to check your claim by.
  • Reading your insurance policy carefully. If you are not sure about your coverage, call your agent to determine if your home and your personal belongings are covered against earthquakes, aftershocks and resulting fires.
  • If you haven't, you should take pictures of any damage from the earthquake. You can do this by using any type of camera or videotape, and you may also want to save the actual damaged valuables for proof. If you have any questions about your policy, don't hesitate to call your insurance company. Your agent should be able to answer all of your questions. If you rent, you should check your renters policy to see if it has an earthquake endorsement for contents in your home. Your best line of communication with your carrier is to contact your agent directly. For after hours service or if you cannot reach your agent, the following phone numbers may be used to start the claims process. Be sure to have your policy number ready when you call.

Real time traffic and weather information is available by simply dialing 511 from most phones. The system builds upon the Washington State Highway hotline previously accessed through 1-800 toll free numbers.

Read or Share this story: