GIG HARBOR, Wash. Police say the wife of a Pierce County Sheriff's deputy who shot and killed his in-laws Friday night and then killed himself was not in the home and is safe.

Tacoma Police Det. Gretchen Aguirre said 49-year-old Allen Myron was found after a standoff of more than six hours.

Aguirre said officers were on the perimeter of the scene with Pierce County SWAT when, at about 9:45 p.m., the SWAT team heard a gunshot, and went into the home just before 2 a.m.

They found Myron barricaded in an upstairs room, dead from a gunshot wound, apparently self-inflicted.

Tacoma Police, the SWAT Department, cleared the residence and actually did discover the deputy deceased inside the residence, said Aguierre. So, we were hoping for a more positive outcome.

Aguirre said there were multiple weapons found in multiple locations around the house.

Myron is an 11-year veteran of the Pierce County Sheriff's Department.

Myron may have been arguing with his in-laws when, neighbors said, they heard shots being fired at about 6:48 p.m.

The deputy's mother-in-law was the one who called 911. She was able to make her way out of the house on her own after being shot. She was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where she later died.

Police negotiators rushed to the scene, about 25 miles southwest of Seattle, along with the SWAT team and other law enforcement personnel.

Myron then barricaded himself inside his home.

Aguirre said Myron's 15-year-old daughter and another teen who is not a relative were in the home but were able to get out on their own. It's not known if the teens were held hostage.

Aguirre said other members of the family are accounted for.

During the tense standoff there was a lot of concern that the deputy understood their tactics and may have been listening in on the police frequencies with his own radio.

Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said Myron had been on medical light duty for a year-and-a-half and was cleared to come back to work three months ago. Sources say he wasout due to an L&I back injury.

Troyer said there is no evidence that Myron has been involved in previous domestic violence incidents.

Because it was a Pierce County deputy involved in the shooting, to avoid potential conflicts, Tacoma Police took over the scene. The Pierce County Sheriff's Department assisted in the active situation.

Several roads in the area were closed off.

Domestic Violence information:

If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic violence, there is help available 24 hours a day. You can call the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800- 827-8840 or find resources at the following websites:

Eastside Domestic Violence Program:

National Domestic Violence Hotline:

Read or Share this story: