EDMONDS, Wash. -- Multiple patients including five newborns were evacuated Thursday night after a fire broke out in the mechanical area inside Swedish Edmonds Hospital.

The 3-alarm fire started just before 8 p.m., when heavy black smoke was seen coming from the hospital's subbasement. While the flames were contained to the basement, a lot of smoke drifted upstairs to the hospital's many floors. It took firefighters about half an hour to get the fire under control.

Twelve patients were evacuated and transfered to other hospitals during the fire, including a woman in labor.

According to fire officials, the fire was started due to electrical problems in the sub-basement. There were no injuries as a result of the fire, but power remained out in parts of the hospital Friday. Hospital officials say most areas were operating on backup generators and the outage was not affecting patients.

A spokesperson for Swedish Hospital says patients and visitors should call head before going to the hospital to make sure their appointment is still on or that they can visit the person the wish. The number to Swedish Hospital is 425-640-4000.

KING5's Teresa Yuan contributed to this report.

Read or Share this story: