If there were a major earthquake or some other catastrophe, would you or your family be prepared to tough it out on your own for at least three days? Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson has tips on how to be prepared.
What should people do to get ready?
- Have a communication plan
- Have a neighborhood plan
- Build a 3-day emergency kit
- Prepare for special circumstances like injuries, chronic illnesses or disabilities
If you re not a home, how can you check to be sure your loved ones are OK?
- Teach your child a cell phone number to call
- Designate an out-of-state contact
- Choose a safe location to meet up
- Make a communication card
- During an emergency, texting is better than calling
What should you include in the 3-day emergency kit?
- 3 gallons of water for every person or pet
- First aid kit
- Clothing and medication
Also, know where your water and gas shut off valves are.