Between brown bananas, moldy bread, and old leftovers, there's a good chance we've all wasted food this week. But how much is that food waste actually costing you? King County Food Waste spokesman Tom Watson stopped by the show today with some answers.
Tips to help reduce food waste in your own home:
- An Eat Soon box for the fridge to indicate what you need to use up that week.
- Loose vs. pre-packaged lettuce - use loose to better control quantities you need.
- Reusable bag with bulk food in it - buy in bulk section to control quantities.
- Container of summer berries - wash summer berries just before eating to avoid mold.
- Use the Shopping List Template
Think you don't waste much food at home? Take the Food: Too Good ToWaste Challenge to find out!
Connect with King County:
Facebook: King County, WA