There are new recommendations for routine check-ups for all children, and that means parents may have new questions about those visits.
What are the updated recommendations for check-ups?
- Infants: oxygen heart screening at birth
- Children: cholesterol at 9-11, depression 11 years and up
- Teens: HIV testing at 16-18, pap smear at age 21
When should parents take their children to the doctor?
- 11 visits in 1st two years, then every year after that
- Not all children have access to pediatrician
- Medical home for coordination and prevention
- Annual check-ups recommended but not all insurance covers
- Routine care is essential, don t skip check-ups
- Ideally see your pediatrician for sick visit