VANCOUVER -- The mom accused of murdering her 2-year-old and critically injuring her 13-year-old daughter was denied bail in court Monday.

Jessica Smith sat with a blank stare on her face as she was formally charged with aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder. She appeared disheveled and wore a yellow jail-issued jumpsuit.

Last Friday, a hotel housekeeper found Smith's 2-year-old daughter Isabella dead inside a room at the Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach. Her 13-year-old daughter was also in the room, alive but critically injured with slashing wounds, police said.

Court documents say that investigators believe Smith murdered Isabella and tried to kill her older daughter the day before the housekeeper found them.

Smith is involved in a volatile divorce and allegedly attacked the couple's children the day she was supposed to turn them over to their father.

A custody evaluation filed by Jessica's estranged husband last month claimed her actions, including what sounded like a scripted voicemail from the couple's teen daughter, were affecting the well-being of their children.

Now Jessica is accused of murdering their 2-year-old daughter and critically injuring their 13-year-old daughter in a Cannon Beach hotel.

Background: Mom arrested in murder of toddler at Cannon Beach hotel

Her husband, Greg Smith, filed the evaluation request on July 21. He asked for a custody evaluation based partly on an extremely worrisome voicemail his 13-year-old daughter left him on July 15.

The language [she] used is not typical of someone her age and it sounds as though she is reading from something that Jessica scripted, Greg Smith declared in the petition.

He said she made statements like, I can't sleep very well because I'm tormented by the thought of you in our lives and It's terrifying and cruel of you not to respect us.

But he said he has never had a negative relationship with either of his daughters. He asked for the custody evaluation because he said Jessica Smith was manipulating their daughters.

In a divorce petition filed on June 30, Greg Smith said the two were married in 1996 and he told Jessica Smith in November, 2013, that he wanted out of the marriage.

He claims that in April he told her he was moving out and she told him to leave immediately. Since then, he has not been allowed to see or talk with his daughters, according to the declaration.

She later moved the kids from Goldendale, Washington to Vancouver without his permission, he says.

She had filed for an order of protection against him, alleging stalking and harassment, but it was denied.

My efforts to see the girls or communicate via phone calls have been thwarted or ignored, he claimed. Jessica allows my parents to see the kids, but only if they promise not to share photos with me

He was asking for a flexible schedule in which he would see the girls at least every other weekend.

Jessica Smith was ordered to turn the girls over to their father on Friday.

Friday morning a hotel housekeeper found the Smiths' 2-year-old daughter Isabella dead inside a room at the Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach. Their 13-year-old daughter had suffered critical injuries and is now recovering at a Portland hospital.

Jessica Smith was on the run until Sunday, when her SUV was spotted by a Coast Guard helicopter crew. She was arrested on charges of aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder.

More: Vigil held for toddler found dead in Cannon Beach hotel

Greg Smith issued the following statement through law enforcement officials Sunday:

We are extremely grateful for the outpouring of sympathy and support from Cannon Beach and the surrounding communities. We would also like to thank all the law enforcement agencies for their tireless efforts. Special thanks is given to the caregivers and other support individuals for their empathy and skilled care of our whole family.

Our family is working through a very difficult time, and we would request that our privacy be respected. If, in the future, any member of the family wishes to speak with media, we will reach out directly or through police officials. Thank you.

Read or Share this story: