NEWORLEANS - On Thursday morning, the manhunt was finally over for one of the suspects in the Mother's Day second line shooting that injured at least 20 people.

After hours of questioning, New Orleans police hauled the suspected gunman, Akein Scott, off to Orleans Parish Prison. Around 2 a.m., Scott was booked with 20 counts of attempted second degree murder.

The 19-year-old was out on bond when he opened fire on a crowd of hundreds in the Seventh Ward on Sunday.

He was scheduled to be at a court hearing on Thursday for illegal carrying of a weapon with a controlled dangerous substance charge. He was released on bond on April 29 in relation to the charge.

According to Orleans Parish Criminal Court records, he was arrested in another incident in March for resisting an officer, illegal carrying of weapons and possession of heroin. In the end, all of those charges were refused.

Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro said the $15,000 bond for Scott's March arrest was too low for the charges he faced. This time around, the district attorney's office vowed that Scott will face many years behind bars.

I can guarantee to the residents that when he is arrested, we will prosecute him with every available resource that we have and that he doesn't hurt anyone else again, Cannizzaro said.

The NOPD said Scott has ties to gang activity in the Seventh Ward.

In the beginning of the investigation, the New Orleans Police Department said three suspects were spotted running from the scene. Attention has been focused on Scott, but on Thursday morning, sources said police are now searching for a second gunman. The New Orleans Police Department plans to hold a press conference on Thursday.

The shooting at the second line parade occurred around 1:45 p.m. Sunday.

Early Monday morning, investigators released the surveillance video of the shooting, which showed a man opening fire on the crowd.

Around 8:30 p.m. Monday, police were able to put a name with a face thanks to eyewitness tips. They released Scott's name and asked for the public's help locating him.

Just before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, Scott was arrested and taken into custody from a home in Little Woods in New Orleans East.

Some of the shooting victims are still being hospitalized. One remained in fair condition at Tulane. Out of four victims at University, one is stabilized and no longer in the ICU. The other three are in critical condition, face many more surgeries for internal injuries and are expected to be in the hospital for several weeks.

Read or Share this story: