SEATTLE -- Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn has named the 15 members of a new commission to help guide changes at the police department in response to a Justice Department investigation.
The DOJ determined that Seattle police engaged in a pattern or practice of excessively using force, especially in low-level situations that might have been resolved verbally. In a settlement, the city agreed to create a community policing commission to help support reforms and promote community confidence in the police department.
The chairs of the commission are Lisa Daugarrd (DOO'-gard), the deputy director of The Defender Association, a public-defense agency in King County, and Diane Narasaki, executive director of the Asian Counseling & Referral Service.
Other members include Seattle Police Capt. Joseph Kessler, state ACLU deputy director Jennifer Shaw, and the Rev. Aaron Williams, senior pastor at Mount Zion Baptist Church.
From the mayor's office:
The co-chairs of the Community Police Commission are Lisa Daugaard and Diane Narasaki.
The members of the Commission are:
* Claudia D'Allegri, Sea Mar Community Health Centers, vice president of Behavioral Health
* Lisa Daugaard, co-chair, Defender Association, deputy director
* Kate Joncas, Downtown Seattle Association, president and CEO
* Bill Hobson, Downtown Emergency Services Center, executive director
* Jay Hollingsworth, John T. Williams Organizing Committee
* Joseph Kessler, Seattle Police Department, captain
* Diane Narasaki, co-chair, Asian Counseling & Referral Service, executive director
* John Page, Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion, program coordinator at the Defender Association s Racial Disparity Project
* Tina Podlodowski, former Seattle City Councilmember
* Marcel Purnell, Youth Undoing Institutional Racism
* Jennifer Shaw, ACLU of Washington, deputy director
* Kevin Stuckey, Seattle Police Department, officer
* Kip Tokuda, former state representative for the 37th Legislative District
* Rev. Harriet Walden, co-founder of Mothers for Police Accountability
* Rev. Aaron Williams, Mount Zion Baptist Church, senior pastor