LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CLARKSTON, Wash. -- Mica Craig was shopping in the outdoor garden department of a Wal-Mart in Clarkston, WA when he thought he saw a stick lying in the aisle.

He reached down to pick it up, and discovered his mistake when the stick -- which was actually a rattlesnake -- latched onto his hand.

The 47-year-oldman says he started screaming and managed to shake the snake loose at his feet before stomping it to death.

The Lewiston Tribune reports a bystander drove Craig to a local emergency room. Craig says he was treated with six bags of anti-venom and has been told that his hand may be permanently disfigured. He was bitten on Saturday and said doctors expect him to remain hospitalized until Tuesday.

UPDATE: The original APstorycites the incident took place at the Lewiston, IDWal-Mart.However, research by KREM 2 shows Wal-Mart is located in Clarkston, WA.

Read or Share this story: http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/pets-and-animals/2014/08/03/13113162/