Health officials say they're seeing more serious illness from H1N1 in young adults (age 20-50).More than two dozen states are reporting a significant number of cases. In Washington, at least six influenza deaths have been reported statewide.
Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson, pediatrician at the Everett Clinic and Seattle Mama Doc, has some tips for staying healthy and informed.
How can we protect ourselves from getting the flu?
- The best protection is a flu shot or nasal spray
- This season's flu shot is protective
- New research finds 4-strain is helpful for kids
What are the symptoms of the flu?
- High fever, runny nose, cough and muscle aches
What should people do if they have flu-like symptoms?
- Cover cough, and stay home when ill
- See a doctor if you're high risk because of age or medical history