A company that makes prepared chicken salad for stores such as Trader Joe's has recalled more than 180,000 pounds of its products after some was linked to a cases of E. coli infection.
California-based Glass Onion Catering has recalled products distributed in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Utah, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says.
PHOTOS OF PRODUCT LABELS
On Sunday, the FSIS announced that California-based Glass Onion Catering is recalling approximately 181,620 pounds of ready-to-eat salads and sandwich wrap products with fully-cooked chicken and ham because some of these products have been linked to illnesses. The products were produced between Sept. 23 and Nov. 6, 2013 and shipped to distributions centers.
Twenty-six people in three states have been diagnosed with the same E. coli infection, the USDA says. Fifteen of them say they ate products traced to Glass Onion, which supplies midsized grocery store chains such as Trader Joe s.
Some of the affected products include:
- 12 oz. packages of delish pan pacific chop salad
- 13.4 oz. packages of delish California style grilled chicken salad
- 9.9 oz. packages of delish uncured applewood smoked ham & cheese wrap
- 10.5 oz. packages of delish grilled chicken caesar wrap
- 10.9 oz. packages of delish southwestern chicken wrap
- 11.5 oz. packages of delish greek brand low-calorie grilled chicken wrap
- 9.9 oz. packages of delish white chicken club wrap
- 11.2 oz. packages of delish asian style chicken wrap
- 13.4 oz. packages of atherstone Fine Foods Southwestern Style White Chicken Wrap with Chimichurri Sauce
- 10.5 oz. packages of atherstone Fine Foods Asian Style White Chicken Wrap with Mango Vinaigrette
- 9.9 oz. packages of atherstone Fine Foods Grilled White Chicken Caesar Wrap with Caesar Dressing
- 10.7 oz. packages of super fresh Foods California Grilled Chicken Salad, Low Fat Mendocino Mustard Dressing
- 10.7 oz. packages of Lunch Spot Southwestern Style Chicken Wrap, Chile & Lime Dressing
- 9.2 oz. packages of super fresh Foods Pan Pacific Chopped Chicken Salad, Ginger Soy Dressing
- 10.7 oz. plastic containers of TRADER JOE S Field Fresh Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken.
- 11 oz. plastic containers of TRADER JOE S MEXICALI SALAD with Chili Lime Chicken.
In a related recall announcement, Atherstone Foods, Inc. of Richmond, Calif. recalled ready to eat salads and wraps with Best Buy dates 9-23-13 through 11-14-13 because they may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 bacteria. Affected products include:
- Delish Greek Style Orzo Salad (6.oz) Clam Shell/ UPC#49022 74630/ Distributed to Northern Calif. Walgreens
- Delish Asian Style Noodle Salad (6. oz) Clam Shell/ UPC# 49022 74628/ Distributed to Northern Calif. Walgreens
- Delish Vegetarian Wrap (11.3oz) Cellophane/ UPC# 49022 55349/ Distributed to Northern Calif. Walgreens
- Classic Greek Salad (9. oz) Clam Shell/ UPC# 0083 5794/ Distributed to Northern Calif. and Northern Nevada Trader Joe s
- Southwestern Salad Kit (20 Lbs box)/ No UPC#/ Distributed to Northern Calif. Whole Foods
- Wheat Berry Salad Kit (20 Lbs box)/ No UPC#/ Distributed to Northern Calif. Whole Foods
Working in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FDA, the California Department of Public Health, the Washington State Department of Health, and the Arizona Department of Health Services, FSIS has determined that there is a link between the grilled chicken salads and the illness cluster, the USDA said.
The FDA says if you have the recalled products, you should dispose of them or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.