In part one of the televised Seattle mayoral debate held at the KING5 studios on October 9, 2013, incumbent Mayor Mike McGinn and State Senator Ed Murray responded to multiple questions, including the following:
- How are you different from your opponent?
- (To McGinn) After clashing with the council and others, how do you get things done in a second term?
- (To Murray) What responsibility do you bear for state legislative failures that affect Seattle?
- How do you clean up downtown so that people feel safe in Seattle?
- What would you do to make housing more affordable without overcrowding Seattle neighborhoods?