SEATTLE -- Both directions of the 520 floating bridge will close this weekend as Washington Department of Transportation crews install 40 massive concrete girders.
SR 520 lanes and ramps will close at 11 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, between Montlake Boulevard in Seattle and Interstate 405 in Bellevue. All lanes and ramps will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, Feb 27. Bellevue Way also will close from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday between Northeast 32nd Place and Northup Way.
WSDOT encourages drivers to plan ahead before traveling this weekend.
The heaviest traffic is expected midday Saturday and Sunday on Interstates 5 and 90 heading into Seattle and on I-405 approaching I-90. The express lane schedules will change this weekend on I-90 to help improve traffic flow.
SR 520 closure details at a glance
- All ramps and mainline SR 520 will close between Montlake Boulevard in Seattle and I-405 in Bellevue from 11 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, to 5 a.m. Monday, Feb 27.
- Bellevue Way will close from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday between Northeast 32nd Place and Northup Way, in Bellevue.
- The 108th Avenue Northeast on-ramp to eastbound SR 520 will remain open to drivers.
- Two sections of SR 520 remain open to traffic: I-5 to Montlake Boulevard, and east of I-405.
Closure information and detour maps are online. Night work is planned and residents near the work zone will likely hear construction noise. Weekend closure details are available at www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/WeekendClosures.
Special I-90 express lane operations Saturday, Feb. 25, and Sunday, Feb. 26
- The I-90 express lanes will be open westbound from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., and eastbound after 3 p.m.
- The typical express lane schedule is posted online, as well as this weekend s altered schedule. Key alternate routes for drivers heading to Seattle from the south end include State Routes 509 and 599, East Marginal Way South, Airport Way South and Fourth Avenue South.
- Express lane details can be found at www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/King/ExpressLanes/SpecialEvents.