The $64,000 question for Thanksgiving with vegetarians is what to do about the main course. There are two schools of thought:
- An entree is really important; a meal isn t a meal unless there is something is in the middle of the plate.
- Don t worry about it. The turkey, after all, is only one of about two hundred and sixty seven things on the table; most of the rest of them are vegetarian anyhow. It is one meal a year, just let the vegetarians eat all the delicious side dishes and save them an extra slice of pumpkin pie. (Like how I slipped that pie part in there?)
Personally, I m more in camp 2, at least if I m joining an omnivorous Thanksgiving. It just isn t that big of a deal to me to be worth making a veg entree when there is so much else to eat. But if I was putting on my own fully vegetarian Thanksgiving, I d pick one of these main courses:
- Saffron Chickpea Stew with Grilled Porcini Mushroom
- Crisp Polenta Cakes with Braised Cabbage and Beans
- Summer Squash and Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
- King Oyster Mushroom with Roasted Cherries and Sage
- Roasted Tomato and Corn Risotto
- Farro with Chanterelles and Apples
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Orzo in a Sage Brown Butter Sauce
And if you wanted to mix up the traditional side dishes a bit, here are some nice warm, seasonally appropriate options. Soups:
- Alice s Roasted Carrots with Sage Brown Butter
- Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Shiitakes and Smoked Paprika
- Savory Bread Pudding with Morels and Beet Greens
- Potatoes, Chanterelles and Shallots in Red Wine Sauce
- Potato and Fennel Gratin
- Braised Baby Artichokes with Fennel and Cherry Tomatoes
- The Modestly Named Best Cornbread Ever
- Roasted Purple Cauliflower with Sherry Vinaigrette
And course, you gotta have:
I hope this list is helpful! If you need any more suggestions (soups? appetizers? dessert?) or ideas for combinations that will work well with other things you are serving, just add a comment below and I d be happy to help you brainstorm.
For more stories by Michael Natkin, visit Herbivoracious.com.