We re barely into November, but people are already getting revved up for the holidays. One of the most beloved family traditions this time of the year is spending time downtown and enjoying all of the fun festivities. James Sidofrom the Downtown Seattle Association and Ui Robinson from Seattle's Convention and Visitors Bureau give us a preview of this year's Holidays in Seattle and the exciting things they have planned!
Holidays in Seattle begins with theMacy's Holiday Parade, which marches through downtown the morning after Thanksgiving, starting at 9am. It'll be followed by the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at Westlake Center later that day at 5pm, with a special guest appearance by Santa Claus and hosted by KING5's Joyce Taylor and Mark Wright.
For a full schedule of holiday happenings or to download the new interactive Seattle Holiday Goosechase app for a chance to win awesome prizes, go to www.holidaysinseattle.com.
And while you're shopping downtown, there are some great unique gift ideas that you can pick up. These are a sample of some of the cool items that we featured:
Watson Kennedy (several location in Downtown Seattle):
- A French dishtowel that they have made each year for Watson Kennedy that has the 2013 calendar woven into it. They donate a part of the proceed of sales of the towel to Doctors Without Borders. Price: $24
- Pan Pacific Hotel Seattle and glassybaby are excited to be partnering for a series of special shopping events in December: Hot Toddy Tuesdays.
- Each Tuesday in December, Pan Pacific will host a glassybaby pop-up shop in its Lobby Bar with holiday drink specials from 4-8 p.m. glassybaby will bring hundreds of its handmade, glass candle holders (retail $44) and donate 10% of sales to the Ben Towne Foundation, to be matched by Pan Pacific.
Chihuly Garden & Glass:
- The Imagination Cycle, a pop-up book by Ginny Ruffner -- This book, by famed local multi-media artist Ginny Ruffner, is published by the Museum of Northwest Art. It offers a visual journey through the never ending forces of creativity and imagination. Price: $30
- Snooter Doots -- Locally made (Seattle) from Felted Wool, Snooter Doots whimsical style was inspired by the artist s daughter s fanciful imaginary friends. Each Snooter Doot has Adoption Papers available at http://www.snooter-doots.com/. Adopt your story-time buddy today! Price: $56
Correction: Snooter Doots are created by an independent artist and have no connection to Dale Chihuly.
- Attic Journals From a Portland artist, Attic Journals are handmade using hard-bound vintage school books and library books (everything from cookbooks and hymn books to those funny home repair guides that have fantastic graphics) that were destined for dumpsters. Each journal is made to last with approximately 75 pages of 24# paper and a sturdy wire binding. Price: $15
- Tense Watches -- Tense wooden time pieces is owned and operated in British Columbia, Canada. These watches are both created and loved by nature enthusiasts around the world. Casual, simple and unique, Tense timepieces use some of the world s best natural materials from Africa, India, and many other exotic locales. Price: $150.00
Seattle Art Museum, SAM Shop:
- Make your own snow globe! Model your own figurines, add water, glitter, & shake! Look it's snowing! Price: $30
- Perfect Setting paper placemats so cute, you can write your menu on them and use them as place setting cards. Price: $24
- Kate Spade iPad case part of an entire collection of cute hashtag phrases. Price: $50
- iCarry Powerless amplifier for your iPhone. Price: $34
- Deborah Lippman Christmas in the City nail polish trio. Price: $45
- Beats by Dr. Dre high resolution in-ear headphones. Price: $149.95
- Champagne ornament great hostess gift. Price: $28
- Elf on the Shelf The Elf on the Shelf appears every day nearing the holidays in a different scene its who tells Santa who has been naughty or nice. Price: $29.95
- Bedford Cottage hand woven blanket luxury throw/gift under $60. Price: $58
- Sequin Mohair Fluff Poncho Sequined yarn, crafted in Italy, light & lofty with sparkling depths. Each one is unique. Price: $368
- Petite zip pouch in Italian leather with sequins. Price: $70
- Bindu Silk necklace silk hand-knotted around wooden beads. Price: $38
Top Ten Toys (located in Pacific Place):
- The seaplane: new toy this year, made out of recycled plastic, very northwest. Price: $19.95
For more information about Holidays in Seattle, clickHERE.