Diamond has announced it is expanding a voluntary recall to include batches of nine brands of dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 due to potential Salmonella contamination.
Brands included in the recall include:
* Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover s Soul
* Country Value
* Diamond Naturals
* Premium Edge
* Taste of the Wild
Diamond continues to provide product updates atdiamondpetrecall.com
And while Diamond s latest press release doesn t include Washington in the list of affected states, it DOES go on to say Further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred.
A Diamond spokeswoman said this statement refers to products purchased online. She said the outlet may be based in one of the state's named in the recall notice.
She also said if you purchased product between Dec. 9 and April 7 and you want to be safe, you can take the product back.
The latest company to issue a recall is Natural Balance Pet Foods. More details here
Natural Balance Pet Foods Customer Service number is (800) 829-4493.
WellPet LLC has also recalled Wellness Complete Health Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and5 oz. sample bags with best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013.
Call WellPet for more information: (877) 227-9587
And for the first time, cat food is included on the recall list. Costco s Kirkland Signature products are now included in the recall list, but again it s not clear if these products are distributed in Washington state. There was no one available for comment.
The Kirkland Signature items in the recall include:
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
* Kirkland Signature Nature s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
To determine if your pet food is recalled, check the production codes on the back of bags that have a number 2 or a 3 in the 9th position AND an X in the 10th or 11th position. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed above are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.
The CDC reports that 14 people in 9 states have been infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis.
People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods, CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell said.
And multiple brands of dry pet food produced by Diamond at their South Carolina facility have been linked to some of the human Salmonella infections.
Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product.
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
If you are unsure if the product you purchased is included in the recall, or if you would like replacement product or a refund, you can contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. 6 p.m. EST. They also have a website http://diamondpetrecall.com/