Seattle loves Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson. Whether he’s scrambling for a first down, throwing a long bomb to Golden Tate or visiting kids at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
But leave the Pacific Northwest and most of America doesn’t think that much of him, according to a new survey by Public Policy Polling released Thursday.
In fact, some pick Tim Tebow as their favorite quarterback over Wilson. Tebow was released by the New England Patriots in the preseason and was just hired as a college football analyst for ESPN.
The annual NFL survey finds that only 30 percent of Americans think favorably of Wilson while nine percent view him as unfavorable. Sixty percent say they are not sure how they view him.
When people were asked who is their favorite quarterback, Wilson falls down the list.
- 1. Peyton Manning – 22 percent
- t2. Tom Brady – 13 percent
- t2. Robert Griffin III – 13 percent
- 3. Drew Brees – 9 percent
- 4. Aaron Rodgers – 8 percent
- 5. Tim Tebow – 7 percent
- 6. Russell Wilson – 5 percent
- 7. Eli Manning – 4 percent
- 8. Cam Newton – 3 percent
- Someone else/not sure – 16 percent
But when asked who is their least favorite quarterback, Wilson is near the bottom of that list, too:
- 1. Tom Brady – 18 percent
- 2. Tim Tebow – 12 percent
- 3. Robert Griffin III – 11 percent
- 4. Eli Manning – 7 percent
- t5. Drew Brees – 5 percent
- t5. Peyton Manning – 5 percent
- 7. Cam Newton – 4 percent
- t8 Aaron Rodgers – 3 percent
- t8 Russell Wilson – 3 percent
- Someone else/Not sure – 33 percent
Other findings in the poll:
The Dallas Cowboys are not America’s Team, despite claiming the nickname. Sixty percent said they do not consider the team with the star on its helmet to be “America’s Team.” When asked which team is their least favorite, 23 percent said the Cowboys. The next closest was the Chicago Bears at 13 percent.
More than two-thirds of those polled said the Washington Redskins should not change its nickname. The team has been under pressure from Native American groups and others to come up with a new title that might be deemed less offensive.
Public Policy Polling is largely a political polling service. The NFL poll surveyed 741 registered voters in December.