SEATTLE - As part of a worldwide partnership of towers, the Space Needle was lit in red and white Monday night to encourage support for the people of Japan after last month's devastating earthquake and tsunami.
Towers joining the Space Needle included:
- CN Tower (Toronto, Canada)
- John Hancock Observatory (Chicago)
- Menara KL (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Macau Tower (Macau, China)
- North Tower (Seoul, Korea)
- Olympic Tower (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- Sky Tower (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Spinnaker Tower (Portsmouth, Hampshire, United Kingdom)
"We hope that by lighting our rooftop in red, people will be encouraged to make a donation to the Japanese Consulate's governmental website, the American Red Cross, or any other credible organization that is providing aid to Japan," said Ron Sevart, President and CEO of Space Needle LLC. "The people of Japan that have been impacted by this tragedy still need our help."