Expecting to hear more toxic talk about women by GOP presidential candidate
And, by the way, Burnett says he's supported Democrats in the past.
Burnett issued a statement late Monday, attempting to deflect growing calls for the executive producer of Trump's The Apprentice reality series to produce any video or audiotapes of Trump talking about women in sexist and obscene terms from the 14 seasons he starred on Apprentice.
No can do, Burnett says. "Despite reports to the contrary, Mark Burnett does not have the ability nor the right to release footage or other material from The Apprentice," he said in a statement emailed to USA TODAY.
That's because MGM Television and Digital Group owns Burnett's production company, he said in the statement, although he left out that he is president of MGM.
"Various contractual and legal requirements also restrict MGM’s ability to release such material," the statement said, without explaining what those might be.
"The recent claims that Mark Burnett has threatened anyone with litigation if they were to leak such material are completely and unequivocally false," the statement added.
"To be clear, as previously reported in the press, which Mark Burnett has confirmed, he has consistently supported Democratic campaigns,” including donating large sums to
Burnett's statement followed another day of turmoil for the Trump presidential campaign as he deals with the fallout from a leak Friday of a 2005 tape of Trump and then-Access Hollywood anchor
The leak itself followed an Associated Press report last week that said Trump repeatedly demeaned women with sexist language, rated female contestants by the size of their breasts, and talked about which ones he'd like to have sex with.
After the Access tape leaked, speculation mounted that there had to be more tapes, given Trump's long years as a reality TV star.
Then BuzzFeed reported Saturday that Burnett is "pro-Trump" and made clear to his staff he will sue anyone who leaks.
"There are risks to releasing this footage, including a potential $5 million dollar lawsuit, other legal fees or adverse professional implications," the page says. "This campaign hopes to raise the funds to pay those penalties and reward the whistleblower responsible with whatever remains to assist them as they move forward in their career."
Now Burnett has tried to put the kibosh on this line of inquiry.
Burnett, 56, is known in Hollywood as an enormously successful, award-winning reality TV producer, responsible for shows including The Voice and Celebrity Apprentice (NBC); Survivor andthe
He has a particular interest in Christian-themed cable miniseries, including The Bibleand A.D. The Bible Continues. He just produced — with his wife, Northern Ireland-born actress
Copyright 2016 KING